Friday, May 9, 2008

God says: kill it all...

My title today might be a bit extreme, but don't stop reading...I think this is the most important lesson I ever learned. Yesterday in college we had Reggie Dabbs speaking to us. His message was about how Saul, the first king of Israel, died. In 1 Sam. 31. 4-6 we can read:

Saul told his armor bearer, "Draw your sword! Stab me, or these godless men will come, stab me, and make fun of me." But his armor bearer refused because he was terrified. So Saul took the sword and fell on it. When the armor bearer saw that Saul was dead, he also fell on his sword and died with him. So Saul, his three sons, his armor bearer, and all his men died together that day.

Saul, the first king Israel ever had, died this way. How is that possible? A great king, anointed by God... The answer is found in 1 Sam. 15. Samuel anoints Saul king over God's people. And tells him:

"The LORD sent me to anoint you king over his people Israel; now therefore listen to the words of the LORD. Thus says the LORD of hosts, ‘I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."

But Saul didn't listen to God.

Verse 9: But Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep and of the oxen and of the fattened calves and the lambs, and all that was good (pleasing to their eye), and would not utterly destroy them. All that was despised and worthless they devoted to destruction.

I'm a student in a Leadership Bible College. I know the calling that God placed on my life, He calls me to lead...to be the head and not the tail, to be the light in a dark world. And the lesson that I learned out of this message is that God wants me to die to myself. COMPLETELY!

IF YOU DON'T KILL YOUR FLESH NOW...IT WILL KILL YOU!!

Why this is the most important lesson I ever learned? When Saul died, he wasn't the only one who died that day. Together with him, his best friend died, his sons died and all his men died. If I don't crucify myself with Christ completely, it's not only I who will die...but also all those people that God will place on my path. All those people that needed to hear about God.

My prayer today is that God will give me a vision of all those people... So that I know it is not about me, but about all those and that I can't give up, ever!

No comments: